OP Trip Resources

OP Trip Resources


Using the OP van or State motor pool vehicles:

Before the trip:

  • Get driver clearance: Fill out a driver record check form from the OP office. If you have an out of state license, except California, you must send for your driving record.
  • Take these to the OP Barn and we will submit them for clearance. This will take 7-10 days to process. Then you must complete a van training session with Dave. Plan ahead!
  • Reserve a van: OP van- Write name and phone# on the calendar located on the trip initiator board. State van – have Dave reserve a van.
  • Fill out a van checkout form from the OP office and have Dave authorize it.
  • Check out van key packet from OP Barn during rental hours and get your barncode.
  • Fill out trip waiver and fax to DPS, leave original in the Barn.
  • Notify staff of cancellation least 24 hours in advance or you will be charged for the time you reserved.

Credit Cards

Credit cards are provided and should be used for fuel, all vehicle supplies and repairs. Make sure that a state card is never used for a private vehicle!

Cash Purchases

If emergency cash purchases are made for vehicle supplies, you must get a receipt. Bring the receipt to the OP office if the Motor Pool is closed. There will be a form to fill out (of course). Subtract the amount of the cash payment you made off the total due on the bottom of the State Van sheet.

Repairs and Problems

Use the supplied credit cards for any minor repairs or parts. Please call the Motor Pool or the Outdoor Program for directions if it is a major repair. Useful phone numbers are in the back of this notebook.


Both the OP and State vehicles are covered by State of Oregon self insurance, with a $500 deductible. The deductible must be covered by the group using the van. An accident packet is in the door pocket on the vans, or in the glove box on other vehicles.

Picking up a vehicle

Hours are 7 AM to 5:30 PM, Monday to Friday. For weekend trips, the vehicle must be moved out of the locked lot by 5:30 PM on Friday. You will be billed only for the time you have it reserved for.

Trailer Hitch

If you will be using a trailer, make sure that the van you get has a hitch and ball! Sometimes the removable ball part of the hitch is under the drivers seat. OP trailers require a 2″ ball.


The state motor pool has mini to 1-ton vans, with prices ranging from $30 to $65 a day in addition to gasoline. The OP GMC Safari (which holds eight) is $0.37 per mile with no daily charge while the larger 12 and 15 passenger vans are $0.48 per mile with no daily charge. The price difference between state vans and the OP van depends on how far you’re going and how long you’ll stay.

Special Equipment on the OP van

  • There is a lock box on the front bumper that has a tool kit, chains, jack, flares, jumper cables, etc. It is also a good place to lock valuables.
  • During the winter, there is a snow shovel on the roof, and a bag of gravel in the back. Studded snow tires and chains are available.
  • The OP van has a CB radio for safety and convenience. Channel 9 is for emergency only.
  • Two portable CB’s are available at the Barn to place in State or private vehicles going on OP trips.

Activity Equipment Lists

Each group is responsible for the equipment it uses. For very equipment intensive trips (e.g. raft trips) the responsibility is often shared by the group, in cases where the equipment used is clothing or tents, a policy of individual responsibility may be more practical. This issue is something the group should discuss before the trip.

Essential Trip Equipment